Choquequirao is an archaeological center whose name means: "cradle of gold" located between the chain of mountains of the Andes, like: snowy Salkantay and snowy of Pumasillo, and under the jurisdiction of the district of Santa Teresa, Province of the Convention, Department of Cuzco, in the south of Peru.
The archaeological complex of Choquequirao consists of buildings and terraces distributed on different levels, from the lowest level Sunch'u Pata to the highest truncated top, which was leveled and surrounded with stones to form a platform with an area of approximately 150 square meters. According to the chronicles Choquequirao was the last Inca refuge from 1536.
Choquequirao (sometimes also like Choquequirao or Choquekiraw) is known as the "sacred sister" of Machu Picchu because of its structural and architectural similarity. Recently, being partially excavated, it has awakened the interest of the Peruvian government to recover even more the complex and to turn it into a more accessible alternative for the tourists interested in knowing more about the Inca culture.
Choquequirao is located 24 kilometers from the town of Cachora, with a downhill and zigzag road, with wonderful landscapes, where you can take advantage of the flight of the condors in the Apurimac Canyon.